Gulf Shores vacation condo Website thedunes504.com
Grand Opening special 50% off Nov and Dec
Every part of our wonderful country has its own unique words, phrase’s, and sayings. Since moving to Foley, Alabama last year I can’t tell you how many times I have asked someone to repeat what they just said. Expand your vocabulary and here is a compilation dictionary of local phrases.
When you visit Gulf Shores on vacation here is a list of things you might hear around the area.
Animal references in our southern slang.
- Grinning like a mule eating corn. You might say LOL or laughing out load.
- Having a duck fit. Compare to having a hissy fit.
- It’s hotter than Satan’s house cat
- A frog strangler. It is raining and pouring. Heavy rain
- It’s so dry the trees are bribing the dogs. The tress welcome any liquid
- Cold as a frosted frog
- It rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock. Raining so hard you hear it hitting the ground
- Nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
- I’m feeling as low as a toad in a dry well
- I’m finer than frog hair. I feel pretty good
- Well, ain’t he just the tom-cat’s kitten? He’s a flirt
- You’re lower than a snake’s belly in a wagon rut
- She’s busier than a cat covering crap on a marble floor
- I’m as busy as a one-legged cat in a sandbox
- Well I swan/swanny. Oh my gosh is southern
- What would your mama think. Compare with I can’t believe you did that
- That’s a real knee slapper. Rolling on the floor laughing reaction
- I surely appreciate it. Definition- Thanks.
- Don’t make me cut a switch. Stop what you are doing or else. A switch is a long flexible branch cut from a bush to administer corporal punishment to a child. Even up north in Indiana I used to have to go get my own switch for mom to punish me.
- Yankee. Anyone not from here it seems. I first was called a Yankee when I arrived here. I am from Southern Indiana just seven miles from Kentucky. In my opinion no where’s near a Yankee.
- Mama always said. Watch The Waterboy with Adam Sandler for more on this phrase. Basically means in my opinion.
- Bless your heart. Nice phrase added usually after insulting someone in some way. “He is not the cutest boy, bless his heart!”
- Bye, y,all. See you later.
- That just dills my pickle. Same as that just makes me mad!
- That just jars my preserves. See previous phrase
- That dog won’t hunt. That idea or thought won’t work
- Sick as a dawg
- I’d have to feel better to die
- Is your daddy a window maker? Move out from in front of the TV.
- Slap-yo’-mama good. That was delicious
- It happened faster than a knife fight in a phone booth.
- He’s so clumsy he’d trip over a cordless phone.
- He’s about as handy as a back pocket on a shirt.
- I feel like the last pea at pea-time. Sad or lonely
- He’d have to stand up twice to cast a shadow. Very skinny person
- The law. The police
- She is having a hissy fit with a tail on it
- He squeezes a quarter so tight the eagle screams
- He’s so stuck up, he’d drown on a rainstorm
- Too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash
- He’s as lost as last year’s Easter egg
- Yankees are like hemorrhoids: Pain in the rear when they come down and always a relief when they go back up.
- You’re lyin’ like a no-legged dog!
- Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit
- He smelled bad enough to gag a maggot
- Faster than green grass through a goose
- He fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
- He’s so rich he buys a new boat when the old one gets wet
- That rain was a real frogwash
- White as cotton. Up north we use white as snow when someone is shocked or terrified.
- It’s hot as all get-out
- It’s coming up a storm. Which it does randomly and briefly most days
- Hotter than the devil’s armpit
- It’s so cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets
- It’s like getting punched in the face by a sauna. High humidity
- The devil is beating his wife. Rain while the sun is shining
- It’s egg frying hot
- I’m burning slap up
- It’s hotter than a two dollar pistol
- Its hotter’n a blister bug in a pepper patch
- Son of a motherless goat
- What in sam hill
- I’ll be dogged
- Mother of pearl
- Oh, H-E double-toothpicks
- Heavens to Betsy
- Son of a biscuit eater
- Well, tarnation
- I swan
- I declare
- Good gravy
Compiled from all over the world-wide web!
Please sign up and follow my Blog!
Comment about which one was your Favorite